Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Black Magic

I got my new issues of Veranda AND Domino in the mail the other day so I've been pouring over them while I've been bored at work. One thing that stood out to me was that there were black and white features in both magazines. Lots of black and deep grey walls, lots of contrast. I can't decide if I love it or hate it but I thought it was a very daring and dramatic look. Not to mention Halloween appropriate! See what you think...


This was the feature in this issue of Domino. I was excited because it's the home of Jenna Lyons, the creative director at J. Crew. And who doesn't love J. Crew? But I just couldn't decide if I liked the house. I know... that is horrible to say... but I just thought it seemed a bit cold. Black and white are about as classic as it gets but it can sometimes just be too rigid and lifeless. But that's just my opinion...

The kitchen with black cabinets, concrete countertops and simple, open shelving.

Sitting area off of the kitchen.

This is Lyons' son's nursery and where we start to see the black walls. It is at least livened up a bit with the yellow and white striped ceiling which I think is so adorable!

More nursery. Love the comfy sheepskin on the floor and the Alexander "Calder-esque" mobile. Very sophisticated!

Can I have a whole room for clothes and shoes?!?! Please??

Bedroom with more black walls.
Bathroom with more black walls. I love the cast iron tub, copper fittings and herringbone floor.

This is the home of a Houston designer, Renea Abbott from the current issue of Veranda. It also features a black and white and theme. Several wallpaper/fabric patterns are from Kelly Wearstler's line for Schumacher that I adore! The wallpaper and chair fabric are her "Imperial Trellis".

More Kelly Wearstler fabric - Gordian Weave

No comments: